Saturday, February 19, 2011

cooking class 101

Several years ago I decided to enlist in a proper cooking class at the local community college. I had never had any formal training; most of it was watching my parents and friends or cooking shows on TV. Boy, did I have a lot to learn! I also was told that the knives and other kitchen tools/gadgets I had purchased from IKEA or taken from my parents' throwaway pile were not permitted in the instructor's kitchen. I ended up buying a J.A. Henckels International Classic 8-Inch Stainless-Steel Chef's Knife as a starter. The J.A. Henckels International 3-Piece Paring Knife Set, Black was also added to my collection.


The first class we made:
mashed potatoes - first time I made mashed potatoes by actually mashing potatoes and not adding water to a package!
salad
chicken
brownies - also not from a package!
 These are some of the things we cooked in the second class:

Meatloaf
Chunky tomato sauce
Vegetable Melange
Meatloaf with the sauce, vegetables and pasta with homemade pesto sauce
For dessert, tangy lemon bars


And for the final class:

basmati rice pilaf
sauteed green beans with toasted walnuts
vegetable and wine braised halibut fillets
dinner's ready!
dessert - fresh pear crisp
the chefs

No comments:

Post a Comment